Yu says it’s not true.
After revealing earlier in the week that the Yankees were on his list of six teams he’s considering in free agency, Yu Darvish took to Twitter again on Friday to refute a report that the Bombers recently made him a long-term offer.
“They don’t give me offer yet,” Darvish tweeted.
Yankees play-by-play man Michael Kay had reported on his ESPN radio on Thursday that the Yanks offered a seven-year deal worth $160 million to Darvish, the former Texas ace who finished last season with the Dodgers. Kay also reported that the Yanks pulled the potential contract after Darvish didn’t accept it within a 48-hour window.
GM Brian Cashman, who has been seeking a rotation upgrade all winter, had acknowledged publicly on WFAN earlier on Thursday that the Yanks at least have been in contact with Darvish’s camp.
“Do we recognize Yu Darvish as a unique talent and a premier starting pitcher in the marketplace? Yes we do,” Cashman said. “Would we be one of the last teams standing (in any bidding for Darvish)? I can’t answer that.
Yu Darvish says he hasn’t received an offer from the Yankees.
“I do think there are things we can do to create (payroll) flexibility. And that’s why you stay engaged with high-end guys in the marketplace.”
The Yanks likely would have to shed significant salary — likely Jacoby Ellsbury or David Robertson — to sign Darvish as a free agent and still achieve their goal of getting under the $197 million luxury tax threshold.
Adam Warren reportedly avoided arbitration on Friday and settled for $3.315 million, according to FanRag Sports. Tommy Kahnle and Aaron Hicks had settled their cases the previous day.
Source: Ny Daily News