Bill Cosby’s sentencing for sex assault scheduled for September

Bill Cosby will learn his fate in the fall.

A Pennsylvania judge set the comedian’s two-day sentencing hearing for Sept. 24 and Sept. 25, according to an order signed Tuesday.

Advertisement

Cosby, 80, was convicted of three counts of aggravated sexual assault back on April 26.

Each felony charge carries up to 10 years behind bars.

A jury took just 14 hours to find the fallen funnyman guilty of drugging and sexually assaulting former Temple University staffer Andrea Constand inside his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004.

The sweeping verdict led the judge to place the man formerly known as “America’s Dad” on house arrest with an ankle monitor.

Constand, 45, has a right to address the court at Cosby’s sentencing under Pennsylvania law, and so do her family members.

Cosby, meanwhile, can put up his own character witnesses and even give his own statement in person or through a letter.

Cosby would get the last word before the judge announces his decision.

One source said there’s no obvious Pennsylvania precedent that would allow Cosby’s scores of other accusers to address the court in a manner similar to the victim impact statements given by more than 150 women at the Michigan sentencing of former USA Gymnastics team doctor Larry Nassar earlier this year.

Bill Cosby, 80, was convicted of three counts of aggravated sexual assault on April 26.

Bill Cosby, 80, was convicted of three counts of aggravated sexual assault on April 26. (David Swanson/TNS)

But Cosby’s case has been anything but typical, and the judge could allow some level of input, the source said. The most likely scenario is that the other women would be allowed to submit letters to the court.

Former supermodel Janice Dickinson is one such accuser who hopes to have a voice at Cosby’s sentencing, her lawyer Lisa Bloom said Tuesday.

“Janice would like to give a victim impact statement if the judge will allow it,” Bloom said in an email to The News. “I believe all 62 Cosby survivors should have this opportunity. It will likely be their only chance to face him in a courtroom. So many have been denied justice because of statutes of limitations. Let them speak.”

Dickinson testified during Cosby’s retrial as one of five so-called “prior bad act” witnesses called by prosecutors to show Cosby had a pattern of drugging and sexually abusing women.

She told the jury Cosby drugged and raped her in a hotel room near Lake Tahoe in 1982.

Cosby has denied the encounter.

Advertisement

Civil rights lawyer Gloria Allred represents 33 Cosby accusers, including three who testified at the retrial, and echoed the call for the judge to allow statements from any accuser who wants to give one.

“I do hope that other accusers will also be permitted by the court to speak at his sentencing. At a minimum, I would like the court to allow testimony from the prior bad act witnesses who testified,” Allred said Tuesday. “I hope that the court will also allow testimony from other accusers who did not testify.”

Source: Ny Daily News

Leave a Reply

*